3 Bedroom Terraced
£875,000
St. John's Hill, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Floorplans For St. John's Hill, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Description


Desirable Location, Town Walls, Grade II Listed, Historically Interesting, Kitchen / Dining Area, Formal Dining Room, First Floor Drawing Room, Master with En Suite and Dressing Room / Office / Bedroom 4, Cellar, Views of The Quarry Park and Shrewsbury School


Situation: A painted map in Shropshire Archives illustrating the Shrewsbury Town Walls before Quarry Place existed and before the current St Chad's Church was built in 1789, highlights 'Mr. Berrington's House', being the house on the corner of St John's Hill (no.18), built in 1758.

Following the Norman Conquest in 1066, the Berringtons were granted lands by Roger de Montgomery who, having been given areas of Sussex plus seven eighths of Shropshire by William the Conqueror, allocated his newly received assets to those families who had helped his and William's cause.

Subsequently, the Berrington family influenced Shropshire for hundreds of years and the female line can be traced back to Edward I (Edward Longshanks), 1272 to 1307, whose Queen was Margaret of France. The French and Catholic influence is significant.

In the 1400's, a tower along the Shrewsbury town walls carried the Berrington family name. Berrington Tower was situated on Claremont Bank.

The Berringtons also lent their name to Berrington village outside Shrewsbury and Berrington Square (now St. Alkmund's Square).

The Berrington family held important positions in Shrewsbury throughout the centuries, and are described in a 'Magna Carta' publication as 'landed gentry'. As gentry and staunch Catholics, Berrington family members communicated with the upper echelons of society particularly in respect of religious affairs.

In 1888 the owner of number 18 St John's Hill in 1888 was Miss Hughes and legend has it that she backed and won a significant amount of money on Ormonde, a racehorse belonging to the Duke of Westminster. The winnings were used to make major improvements to the house which then became known as Ormonde House.

The developments included an extension to the living space, the addition of the double height bay window and the erection of the front garden wall, carried out by local architect Oliver Jones in March 1889.

These improvements are still a major feature of the house today, particularly with regard to its light rooms and splendid views from all aspects, complemented by the property's fascinating history shaped over the centuries.

Services: Mains gas, electricity, water and drainage. Gas central heating and Clearview
multi-fuel stove.

Council Tax: Band F

Postcode: SY1 1JJ

Local Authority: Shropshire Council (0345 678 9000)

Broadband Speed: Our research has indicated that superfast broadband is available at this property. Please conduct your own research to ensure the speeds meet your requirements.

Flood Risk: River, the Sea and Surface Water: Very low risk.

Fixtures and Fittings: Whilst all attempts have been made to accurately describe the
property in regard to fixtures and fittings, a comprehensive list will be made available
by the seller's solicitors.

Wayleaves, Easements and Rights of Way: The property will be sold subject to and
with the benefit of all wayleaves, easements and rights of way, whether mentioned in
these particulars or not.

Please Note: This is a tree conservation area.

Directions: From the Balfours office in the Square, walk down Market Street and turn left onto Shoplatch. Continue up onto St John's Hill and continue to the junction of Murivance. The property is located on the corner opposite Quarry Place.


what3words: charmingly.dinner.dots
Balfours

Balfours

The Square
Shrewsbury
SY1 1LG

+44 (0)1743 353511

Reference: BLF-SBY230059

Request a viewing for this property

Simply fill out the form below or alternatively call us on 020 7839 0888

* Mandatory fields